Pro-Action Plan Step Week 4 (2 of 2):
Exploring Your Sector
Big Note: The directions on your Pro-Action Plan “Career Journey” Page will only show you the Number of Steps you have to complete. Please use these directions to complete the steps.
Step One: On your Pro-Action Plan, identify three concepts/ideas/activities that you learned about from each of the 3 Urban Farm locations. What is unique about each of these locations?
Step Two: Explore each of these spaces and work to identify 2 to 4 top priorities for the way that they bring Natural and Agricultural Sciences into their community.
Step Three: Using the below questions to guide you, consider what your priorities will be for your NYCIDY Urban Farm.
- What produce will NYCIDY grow?
- Will NYCIDY keep bees?
- Will NYCIDY use existing land for farming or repurpose abandoned land or use rooftops?
- How large will NYCIDY’s farm be?
- Will NYCIDY residents be required to volunteer to tend the farm/garden?
- Where will produce be stored for the winter?
- Will NYCIDY keep and breed animals for food? If so, which animals?
- Who will tend the animals? Middle and HS students for credit?
- Will the farm feed NYCIDY residents for free?
- Will produce be donated to those in need?
- How will you dispose of waste? Will you have composting? A dump?
Step Four: Be prepared to present the following ideas for a sector-focused project so that your sector-focused team will decide together which project you will present for the NYCIDY Games.
- Using the global challenges from the video present a local solution to an agricultural program.
- Using the questions in Step Three, create/complete the NYCIDY Urban Farming Plan for presentation. Consider:
- Sketch/Draw NYCIDY Urban Farm and describe your plan using a presentation (see examples here.)
- Create a mock website for your NYCIDY Urban Farm. Design a website mock up or wireframe using Google Docs or by using Moqups.
Note: use the websites you explored to take inspiration for NYCIDY Urban Farm.