77 Alaska St, Staten Island, NY 10310
Urban Hope recruits caring and skillful Volunteers to serve in our Literacy Program to tutor and mentor K- 2 graders, so they can read at or above their grade levels. The Literacy Program runs from November – June, during the academic year and is a 20 Week Program. The minimum requirement is to assist: One Child, Once A Week, for One Hour. Volunteers tutor children during their lunch periods, which are typically from 10am-1pm or in the afterschool hours from 2-5pm, M-F. Urban Hope has serviced PS 44, Lavelle, PS 31, PS 19, PS 18, PS 68 and PS 78. The more volunteers that sign up, the more struggling children will be helped with Literacy Skills. All Volunteers are welcome and should be 15+.
- Mentor tutor children during their lunch periods, which are typically from 10am-1pm or in the afterschool hours from 2-5pm
- One Child, Once a Week for One Hour
- Attend Orientation October 3rd at 10am
- No experience or advanced preparation is necessary, just a willing heart to want to make a positive difference in a child’s life.
- Urban Hope provides a 2-Hr. Volunteer Training that must be attended.
- All Volunteers are welcome and should be 15+.
Mondays-P.S. 18 , 221 Broadway, Staten Island, NY 10310
Wednesdays-P.S. 19, 780 Post Ave., Staten Island, NY 10310
Thursdays- P.S. 78, 35 Hill St., Staten Island, NY, 10304
Fridays – P.S. 44, 80 Maple Parkway, Staten Island, NY 10303
Apply for this position
Please only apply for this position if you are an enrolled participant in NYCID\'s Workforce programs
Please apply up to 3 opportunities and ensure that you use the drop-down menu to identify your choices for each job.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you do not meet all of the requirements of the job description, your application may not be selected for the position.